Considering what’s at stake when you need services or repairs for your HVAC system, it’s worth a little extra time to make sure you’re getting a contractor with the best HVAC certifications in your area. Besides ensuring your ongoing comfort, your energy bills and safety are on the line.
- Licensing, bonding, and insurance. The Indianapolis metro area requires all HVAC contractors and technicians to have a current HVAC license and proof of insurance and bonding. Before hiring a company, verify that their license is active and they have the financial protections insurance and bonding provide.
- NATE certification. NATE (North American Technician Excellence) is a nonprofit program that certifies only the top performing HVAC professionals. The requirements are stringent, and only the most competent and knowledgeable applicants receive their certification. Maintaining NATE certification requires continuing education, re-testing after two years, and a high degree of customer satisfaction.
- Local reputation. Most HVAC contractors are independently owned and provide services locally. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a good resource to check online for the contractor’s reputation in a local area. They’re ratings range from A+ to F and are easy to find online on the BBB’s website.
Angie’s List is also an online rating company and awards top-performers in local market areas that provide outstanding performance and services. Although good ratings from the BBB and Angie’s List aren’t HVAC certifications, good ratings from either indicate a trustworthy contractor.
- ACCA membership. The Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) provides its members with information about the latest developments in the HVAC industry.
- Federal certifications. The U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Star program singles out HVAC contractors who meet its qualifications as an Energy Star partner. Contractors must follow the Energy Star program’s recommendations for the installation and servicing of HVAC systems for maximum efficiency.
These HVAC certifications help you navigate through all the HVAC companies to find the most knowledgeable and trusted companies in your area. For more information, contact Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing providing NATE-certified services for Indianapolis homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Name of Artist/Shutterstock”