Are you in the midst of hiring an HVAC contractor and want to go in the right direction? We’ve all been there, which is why we’ve compiled our eight best tips to keep in mind when hiring an HVAC contractor for your Indianapolis-area home:
- Check for licensing – The majority of states and municipalities dictate that an HVAC contractor meet minimum requirements of being licensed, bonded and insured. The contractor should provide this documentation upon request.
- Ask for a list of references – Since any contractor you may hire should have nothing to hide, you should be able to obtain a list of customers they’ve done work for. Call each person on the list and ask about the company’s professionalism, time completion, quality of work, etc.
- Read online reviews – The Internet is a fantastic tool for finding out whether or not past customers have been happy with the service they received from a business. Sites such as Yelp and Angie’s List can be indispensable when hiring an HVAC contractor.
- NATE certification – Limit your search to technicians who can show NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification, which shows that the technician has completed difficult testing to ensure knowledge of general HVAC know-how and one or more specific knowledge areas.
- Look for special discounts – Many contractors will offer discounts from time to time on specific services. You can often find these on the company’s website. If not, ask them directly.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) – The Better Business Bureau (BBB) will be able to tell you if the company has any complaints against it.
- Inquire about Energy Star appliances – A reputable contractor should encourage you to install heating and cooling equipment backed by the Energy Star logo.
- Get it in writing – When asking for multiple bids on any given project, pay attention to details in addition to price, such as the type of equipment to be installed, time completion, etc.
If you’d like additional tips to keep in mind when hiring an HVAC contractor, or have other home comfort concerns, reach out to our technicians at Mowery Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Indianapolis and the surrounding area for over 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock