Don’t be tempted to pick an HVAC contractor in one step by choosing a company randomly out of the phone book. While this is faster and easier than following our prescribed nine steps, you could end up having a poor installation, resulting in less efficient equipment and a shorter system lifespan. Don’t take the risk – follow these steps to find a qualified HVAC contractor.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations: If they had a good experience with a particular contractor in the past, you could benefit from the company’s superior service as well.
- Call references: Ask a few HVAC contractors for references that you can contact. Ask about the contractor’s service and whether their initial estimates were accurate or not.
- Seek the Energy Star label: Look for heating and cooling equipment that exceeds government minimums and qualifies for the Energy Star. You’ll enjoy better efficiency, lower energy bills and advanced features to improve home comfort.
- Look for special offers: Some Energy Star-certified equipment can qualify you for tax credits and rebates. Some HVAC contractors also offer coupons and discounts on certain products.
- Understand license and insurance requirements: Ask the contractor for a license number and ensure they have liability insurance before you do business with them.
- Expect a home inspection: Qualified contractors will be unable to give you an accurate estimate over the phone. Instead, they’ll identify your heating and cooling needs in person before offering an estimate.
- Ask for itemized bids: One contactor’s bids may be higher than another’s, but remember the lowest bid might not be the most advantageous if your energy costs will be higher.
- Get everything in writing: Sign a proposal before work begins so you have information about the project’s costs, model numbers, warranties and the work schedule.
- Pass it on: Let your family and friends know about the positive experience you had so they can enjoy working with a qualified HVAC contractor as well.
At Mowery, Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing, we pride ourselves in meeting or exceeding our customers’ expectations. Contact us today to work with a qualified HVAC contractor in the Indianapolis area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Mowery services the Brownsburg, Indiana and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!