Regardless of the type of fireplace your home has, regular fireplace maintenance is necessary to ensure safe and effective operation. The good news is that fireplace maintenance is a relatively low-cost service that pays you back a hundredfold. When you schedule fireplace maintenance, your technician will perform the following tasks, along with others, to ensure safety and proper system operation (some of these steps apply specifically to gas fireplaces):
- Inspect the pilot light and burners.
- Ensure the safety of ignition procedures and combustion.
- Check the venting for safety to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Test the chimney draw.
- Inspect the chimney for animal nesting. Blockages in the chimney prohibit necessary airflow, and could lead to back-drafting of smoke or fumes.
- Remove soot in the fireplace.
- Clean the walls of the fireplace, removing dangerous buildup of soot and ash.
- Inspect the fireplace to ensure that it meets local codes, upgrading the chimney lining and so forth as necessary to meet compliance.
- Test the fireplace insert, ensuring that it fits the space properly.
- Test the sealed combustion of direct-vent fireplaces.
- Clean the glass insert, removing hazardous buildup, using the proper cleaning solutions.
- Check the condition of the liner in the chimney.
- Inspect the components of a power-vented fireplace, ensuring that the flues and fans are in working order.
- Check for gas leaks or electrical hazards, depending on the system.
- Thoroughly clean and vacuum all cavities within the fireplace, paying special attention to the areas where heat exchange occurs, which advances the efficiency of the system and ensures quality indoor air.
- Test the electrical contacts, as necessary.
- Test the igniter.
- Check the location of the logs, ensuring proper placement to avoid accumulation of soot.
- Test controls such as the thermostat, switches, remotes and fans.
Gas, wood and electric fireplaces all require professional service, ideally on an annual basis. The investment in the service pays homeowners back with optimal home safety and comfort. To schedule annual fireplace maintenance, contact Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We’ve served homeowners in the Indianapolis area since 1970 with quality plumbing, heating and cooling and hearth services, repairs and installations.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock