An air purification system either can be installed to work throughout your whole house, or it can be a portable device that can be moved from room to room. Most air cleaners or purifiers (though by no means all) are effective at removing unwanted dust particles and allergens from the home. The air inside a typical Indianapolis home may have more contaminants than you think. All of these contaminants have the potential to make the home’s inhabitants sick, especially if they are prone to allergies or are very young or very old.
There are two basic ways that air cleaners work. Mechanical air cleaners suck air into filtration media, capturing the particles onto filter materials. Electronic air cleaners work by utilizing an electrostatic attraction to trap particles. There are many benefits of utilizing an air purification system in your home.
- Heating and cooling systems that use forced air circulate the home’s dust particles throughout the house, spreading unwanted particulates such as mold spores and bacteria along the way. An air purifier can remove those dust particles, thereby reducing the chances of illness.
- Pet fur and dander in your indoor air can be removed by an air purifier. This can help reduce the risk of allergic reactions to pets.
- Some air cleaners will remove cigar, pipe or cigarette smoke from the air, thereby reducing the chance of illnesses such as cancer and emphysema from breathing in second-hand smoke.
- If there is excess moisture in a home, it can lead to mold and mildew, which can also make people sick with a variety of illnesses. An air purification system can reduce the tiny particles of mold in the home, reducing the chance of mold-related illnesses.
- Pollen from outside can blow in when doors or windows are opened. An air cleaner can help reduce pollen and other allergens that lead to symptoms such as red, itchy eyes, runny noses and coughs.
For more information about how an air purification system can improve your home’s air quality and other issues related to home comfort, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the Indianapolis area for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock