Back when air conditioning was new, systems weren’t very efficient. That wasn’t the focus of the day. However, with energy prices rising and the environment to consider, more Indianapolis homeowners are taking advantage of today’s extraordinary A/C technology.
SEER, or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, is a measurement of how much energy it takes to remove a certain amount of heat from your home during the entire cooling season. Old air conditioners rated well below 10 SEER. The minimum rating allowed after January 2006 was 13 SEER. However, today’s high-efficiency A/Cs can achieve an astounding SEER rating in the mid-20s.
High efficiency is made possible by several technological advances available today. Here’s a look at some of them.
- Thermal expansion valve: Old piston valves can’t compare to the efficiency of thermal expansion valves. These get the most energy possible from the refrigerant running through the system, which is the key to high efficiency.
- Variable-speed air handler: You know those warm and cold pockets in your home? When a variable-speed air handler keeps air flowing almost continuously, this discomfort is no more. This A/C technology also conserves energy and reduces wear on the system by running on low speeds with longer cycles.
- Quiet operation: While A/C compressors are still the noisiest part of the system, technology has come a long way in making the outdoor unit quieter.
- Fan-only switch: If you’re looking for a way to save energy at night, look for a fan-only switch. This keeps you comfortable by moving air around while saving significantly on your energy bills.
- Check-filter light: It’s important to keep a clean filter in the system, but it’s not always easy to remember. This A/C technology lets you know when the prescribed number of operating hours have passed, reminding you to check the filter and change it if necessary.
- Automatic-delay fan switch: Keep the fan running longer than the compressor and all the cold air hiding in the ducts gets circulated into the living area.
For more about advanced A/C technology, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We proudly serve the Greater Indianapolis area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock