Have you ever looked inside your AC ducts to see how dirty or clean they are? The air ducts carry the cool airflow from your AC to the rooms of your home. Over time, your AC ducts are going to collect a lot of dirt and contaminants. Knowing how to clean AC ducts can help in many ways. Here’s what to know:
Why Clean AC Ducts?
The AC ducts are usually located out of sight inside walls, floor spaces, basements, attics, and other unconditioned areas in the home. You may not pay a lot of attention to your ducts, and that’s normal, as most folks don’t. But your ducts actually do deserve some attention, considering that they play a pivotal role in HVAC efficiency and indoor air quality. So, the next time you see dust on a shelf or receive a high energy bill, maybe you should consider how to clean AC ducts.
How to Clean AC Ducts: Prep
First off, you want to make sure you have all the tools needed to clean the AC ducts. You’ll need:
- A screwdriver to remove vents
- A shop-vac to vacuum dirt buildup
- Cleaning cloths to wipe vents clean
- A gallon bucket filled halfway with water
- A stiff-bristled brush to loosen dirt
- Safety goggles to protect your eyes
- A respirator to protect your lungs
- Gloves to protect your hands from sharp metal edges
- Work clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
How to Clean AC Ducts: Cleaning
Keep in mind that learning how to clean AC ducts is really only practical if your air vents are located on the floors or lower sections of the walls in your home. You don’t want to climb ladders to reach air vents that are high up on walls or ceilings.
- Remove air vent covers using a screwdriver.
- Use stiff-bristled brush to dislodge dirt inside AC ducts.
- Use shop-vac to clean inside ducts and vent covers.
- Wipe clean with cleaning cloths.
- Refasten vent covers with screwdriver.
If you need help cleaning AC ducts in your Indianapolis-area home, please contact the pros at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today.