Are you planning on remodeling your Indianapolis home this season? Don’t forget about your HVAC system! Dirt and airborne debris can build up inside your sensitive equipment and cause major malfunctioning issues further down the line. Consider the following helpful tips for a damage free HVAC system before you begin remodeling your home:
- Review your remodeling plans with your HVAC contractor before beginning a big project.
- A good way to keep a damage free HVAC system is to simply keep your furnace or air conditioner turned off whenever you’re doing any type of work that’s likely to stir up dust and send sawdust and other materials flying around.
- Close off and cover any return and supply registers in the areas where you’re working. This will prevent your system from sucking the dust and dirt into the central equipment. If you do choose to run your heating and cooling equipment during the remodeling work, take care not to close off too many registers at the same time. This can cause an unbalanced air flow that forces your equipment to overwork.
- Try to do as much sanding and cutting as possible outside or in your garage to keep the mess away from your indoor environment.
- Isolate the construction area and remodeling zones from the rest of your home with plastic tarps. Ask your contractor about proper dust control measures for the project. It’s important to keep the remodeled area at a negative pressure in relation to the rest of your home when generating dust (such as when you’re sanding).
- Don’t wait until the end of the project to clean! Whether it takes a weekend or a month, the work area should be frequently cleaned to prevent dirt and dust from being tracked through the other areas of your home.
- Be vigilant about inspecting and when necessary, changing air filters for your cooling or heating system. Your filters are going to take a beating during the remodel; make sure to replace them as needed during the process, and especially when the project is done.
For more on keeping a damage free HVAC system during a household building or remodeling project, contact your local HVAC experts at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, serving Indianapolis homeowners for over 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Dirk Ercken/Shutterstock”