The expression, ‘the whole is greater than the sum of its parts,’ is a great way of describing the impact the elements of a home energy system can have when they work together. When the various pieces of the home energy efficiency jigsaw work in synergy, the outcome can be seriously reduced utility bills.
This whole-house system method views the house as a complete energy system, with interdependent parts, each of which impact on the overall performance.
What is the Impact?
A whole-house approach to home energy efficiency can generate significant savings for homeowners. Energy efficiency also saves on natural resources, thereby supporting the sustainability of the environment we all share. But to generate real savings, you need to check that all the systems are performing as they should be.
As the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system typically accounts for around half a home’s energy usage, that’s usually a good place to start.
- Begin by sealing cracks around windows, doors and other areas where conditioned air can escape.
- Next, identify and seal any leaky ductwork in the home. This will ensure conditioned air stays in the areas you want it to.
- Regular servicing of your HVAC system will ensure that it operates at maximum home energy efficiency levels and reduces faults. Putting a service maintenance agreement in place can take the guesswork out of this.
- After that, work on insulation. An easy, quick win for home energy efficiency is attic insulation. Inadequately insulated attics can be a real energy drain and are also reasonably inexpensive to deal with.
- Increasing window shading, exterior or interior can also be a smart move. If the windows are old, consider replacing them with double pane, low-e versions. Lights and other appliances can also be upgraded to energy efficient models.
Taking these steps can reduce energy usage and cut bills. Expert help and advice will ensure you reach the highest home energy efficiency levels possible. Contact us today at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing and join our many satisfied customers, built up over 40 years of business.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock