The Indianapolis area has some of the most enjoyable summer weather in the country. The weather is usually perfect for outdoor activities, and the only thing more enjoyable than a day in the sun is coming home to a nice, warm shower. So, why not make that shower even more relaxing by saving money while you soak?
Water heating consumes the third most energy in your home, behind only heating and cooling your interior air. Upgrading to an energy-efficient water heater can cut that usage in half, and all you have to do is understand the Energy Factor (EF) of water heaters.
The EF tells you the amount of hot water produced per unit of energy that the unit consumes. Simply by looking at the EF, you can answer several key questions, including:
- Recovery efficiency: How efficiently does the water heat convert heat from its fuel source to the water?
- Standby heat loss: How much heat escapes from the water-heater tank as it holds the hot water that it is waiting for you to use?
- Cycling losses: How much heat is lost as the water makes its way from the inlet pipes to the outlet pipes?
The EF is a single rating that allows you to compare different water heaters so that you can make an informed decision about which will save you the most money. For electric units, the EF rating can be as high as .95, meaning that 95 percent of the energy that the unit consumes it uses to heat the water, wasting only 5 percent. For gas units, this number can be lower but that doesn’t always mean you should opt for an electrical model.
Here are some other factors that you should consider when purchasing a new water heater:
- Fuel costs for your home.
- Proper size: If your water consumption is high, try upgrading to efficient appliances and faucets before you select your new water heater so you can choose the correct size.
- Overall cost of the machine.
- Your household peak-hour water usage.
For help finding the best water heater for your needs, contact Mowery Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. With more than 40 years of service in the Greater Indianapolis area, we have the experience to maximize your savings, and we can help you with all of your residential and commercial heating, cooling and plumbing needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Mowery services the Brownsburg, Indiana and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!