Running a home can be expensive. However, one of the costs that you do have control over is heating. The coldest months in Indiana are almost here, and there are a number of things you can do to ensure you have lower heating bills:
- Water heaters. cis one of the keys to an efficient water heater. If your water heater is older than five years, it’s a good idea to install an insulating jacket or blanket. Newer models are probably already insulated from the inside. In addition, insulate the pipes running from the water heater to conserve more warmth.
- Thermostats. Programmable thermostats allow you to schedule temperature increase and decreases according to your daily and weekly schedules. When you know you won’t be home for nine hours a day, why bother heating the house during that time? You can program it to turn down the temperature at night while you’re sleeping, as well, and then come back to your comfort level shortly before you awaken.
- Air flow. Balancing air flow in your home makes sense as it’s an effective way to make sure that rooms that are colder receive more of the warm air that is being pushed through by your heating system. All it requires is that you adjust the dampers on your vents.
- Servicing. Annual servicing of heating systems is essential if you want to keep your equipment running at optimum efficiency and in the most cost-effective manner. Your HVAC technician can advise you on the most economical temperature to run your heating system. Invest in warm socks and cuddly blankets for TV viewing to make sure you have lower heating bills.
- Fans. Run your ceiling fans slowly in reverse (clockwise), and they will blow upward, redistributing warm air that collects near the ceiling down into the areas where you can feel it. This will cut your furnace running hours and thus your energy bill.
Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing is committed to supplying excellent service to residents of the Greater Indianapolis area. Contact us to find out more about our heating systems and how we can help you keep your heating bills as low as possible.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock