Aside from the house itself and perhaps your automobiles, the HVAC system that keeps your home comfortable year round is your biggest investment. This is the number one reason why choosing a trustworthy and competent HVAC technician is essential for anything from preventative maintenance to minor repairs to major repairs to system installations. Find out the main characteristics that comprise a quality HVAC technician, as well as red flags to avoid when selecting one.
- The technician should look and act professionally, while speaking clearly in understandable terms. While these things aren’t proof that you can trust a technician, they’re at least a good first step.
- The contractor for whom the technician works should come highly recommended by friends, neighbors and/or coworkers, as well as boasting high marks from the local Chamber of Commerce and/or Better Business Bureau. Ideally, the technician should be certified by North American Technician Excellence (NATE), which means the employee has proven skill and experience in both general and specific HVAC knowledge.
- The technician should discuss with you the issue you’re having with your HVAC system, whether service, repair or installation, and explore the history or background of whatever problem you’re having or want to overcome.
- Your HVAC technician should insist upon a home visit before agreeing to undertake a major repair or installation. For the latter, they should perform a heating or cooling load calculation for a furnace or A/C installation, respectively, before recommending a certain size. Over- or under-sizing central HVAC systems is a common mistake by inexperienced or unscrupulous contractors.
- At the end of any service or repair call, the HVAC technician should explain the problem in clear terms and how they intend to fix it. This should include providing a clear idea of the scope and cost of the repair, as well as how long it will take.
We think our HVAC technicians satisfy all of these requirements for trustworthiness and competence. If you need service, repairs or installation of a cooling or heating system in your Indianapolis area home, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “OpenClipart-Vectors/Pixabay”