Dirt, dust, and other airborne particles accumulate on your air-conditioner vents over time. Regularly cleaning your vents boosts your home’s indoor air quality and helps improve overall HVAC efficiency, saving you energy and money. Here’s a quick guide to AC vent cleaning.
You’ll need the following tools to clean your AC vents:
- Heavy-duty vacuum with a long hose
- Cleaning brush
Steps to Follow
- Start by turning off the power to your HVAC system.
- Remove the grilles or duct covers from your walls. You may manage to pull off some of them easily, but many will require you to use a screwdriver. Clean the grates with a brush. Consider dusting them off in a garbage bag to prevent getting too much dust into your home’s air. Depending on how dusty or grimy they are, you may have to use soapy water.
- Use a vacuum to get as much dirt and dust out of your ducts as possible. It’s best to rent a heavy-duty vacuum for this task, as a standard vacuum won’t clean the crevices of your ducts adequately.
- Clean the ceiling air vents as well. Use a broom to get the dust off the grilles if it’s impossible to reach them with a screwdriver or vacuum. Remember, dirt and dust will fall as you clean the grilles, so wear a dust mask if it’s been a long time since you cleaned them.
Besides your vents, several other sensitive HVAC components will also need cleaning. It’s vital to schedule annual professional maintenance to have the sensitive components cleaned by a trained HVAC technician. For more information on vent cleaning or other HVAC cleaning solutions, contact the certified professionals at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We provide HVAC maintenance (including vent cleaning), installation, and repair services to residents in the Indianapolis area.