Increasing your home’s energy efficiency helps you save energy dollars and prolongs the life of your home’s major appliances. Besides saving money, you’ll be lowering the demand for energy resources, which helps keep their cost down for everyone.
All Around the Home
- Turn the water heater temperature down to 120 degrees F and drain a few quarts of water from the bottom of the tank twice a year. Both prevent hard water deposits from forming at the bottom of the tank that slow water heating.
- Have the HVAC system serviced before the cooling season starts. It will run more efficiently and remove more indoor humidity. Include a ductwork inspection to identify leaks or problem areas if you have rooms that are less comfortable than others.
- Seal the air leaks around window frames and inspect the exterior doors for air leaks. You may need to apply fresh weatherstripping to prevent air infiltration.
- Choose Energy Star appliances when you need replacements.
- Remove the lint from the dryer screen each time you use it. The lint blocks the air flowing through the dryer, which increases drying time.
- Select the water setting for the load size and when possible, wash full loads. The washer uses the same amount of electricity for large loads as it does small.
- Use the slow cooker and microwave in lieu of the stove or oven on hot days.
- Keep the refrigerator as full as possible for the most energy efficiency. A full refrigerator stays cold longer. If you don’t stock it with food, fill bottles or jars with water.
- Skip the dry cycle on the dishwasher.
- Use a portable or ceiling fan in each bedroom to increase comfort during warm weather.
- Teach your children to turn off their computers at night instead of letting them sleep. While the sleep setting does save power, they use less energy when they’re completely off.
Practicing energy efficiency through appliance maintenance and personal habits will benefit you financially and personally through greater comfort. To learn more, contact Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, providing trusted HVAC services for Indianapolis homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).