The arrival of winter in Indianapolis can often leave homeowners in a state of anxiety over increased energy bills, but you can help keep those bills in check with a few simple steps that will decrease energy costs.
Use one of the following ideas, or several in tandem, to magnify results and significantly decrease your energy costs:
- Lower the overall temperature of your home by installing a whole-house humidifier, because moist air feels warmer than air that it more dry. And winter air can be uncomfortably dry, so a whole-house system will make your home more comfortable by increasing humidity levels.
- Ensure that you don’t lose valuable heat through your windows, which can contribute to big energy losses. To be sure that you don’t lose valuable heat through them, make sure that they are shut tight. If you have storm windows, install them or be sure to close them.
- Seal air leaks around windows and door frames. Air leaks enable heated air to escape out of your home, which increases the amount of energy that your furnace must consume to continue maintaining your desired temperature. You can use caulk around frames, and apply weather stripping to the bottom of doors.
- Replace your furnace filters regularly during the winter season, and you’ll help your furnace operate as efficiently as possible. Dirty filters cause your heating system to work harder to push air through the clogged filters, which costs you more money on your utility bill.
- Schedule a professional service for your furnace. Ideally, this step should be performed prior to the beginning of the heating system, but if you haven’t had it done yet, it’s not too late. Maintenance will ensure that your furnace is clean, void of buildup, and operates efficiently.
- Adjust your home’s ceiling fans, if you have them. You can adjust them to enhance heating by switching to the reverse cycle, and placing them on a low speed. The fans then will push hot air at the top of a room down toward the living space.
For all your HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) needs in the Indianapolis area, contact Mowery Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing. We can help you with energy-saving ideas throughout your home to decrease energy costs, or just call us with your HVAC questions. We are happy to be of service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Mowery services the Brownsburg, Indiana and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Energy saving photo via Shutterstock