All too soon the weather will turn colder in the Indianapolis area, and autumn will arrive. As a homeowner, you’re likely familiar with autumn home maintenance tasks necessary to ease the transition to winter, but they can seem overwhelming. At Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, we recommend a “to-do” list so you can tick items off, and be ready for that first chilly evening.
Ideas for autumn home maintenance that you might put on your checklist fall into two categories: indoor and outdoor.
- Identify leaks around windows and doors where your home will lose heat. Weatherstripping and caulk can reduce your energy bills and prevent those chilly drafts on cold winter days.
- Have your heating system professionally checked. If there’s an issue, you can fix it now before Jack Frost comes to call. Also, remove window air conditioners, and/or cover outdoor equipment. Better yet, sign up for a service agreement, and a technician will keep your HVAC system in optimal shape year round.
- Make sure your fireplace is working safely. An improperly cleaned or damaged fireplace can be a health hazard to family and pets. No fireplace? It’s never too late to add value and beauty to your home.
- Check the roof. Doubts? Call in a professional inspector. All your home’s systems depend on the roof’s protection. If anything is wrong, you are risking major damage. This is a crucial piece of your autumn home maintenance routine. Put it high on the list.
- Once the leaves are down, clean and flush your storm gutters. Note weak spots that need to be repaired or replaced. If you have overhanging trees, you may need to clean the gutters as often as every week. A leaf blower is the easiest way to accomplish this task.
- Check the home’s exterior for cracks and holes. Gaps and cracks often appear around doors or entry points for plumbing or wires. Caulk and seal them to avoid losing heat.
These are a great starting point for your autumn home maintenance checklist. Pour some hot cider to set the mood, and get planning!
For more advice on autumn home maintenance, or any home comfort issue, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been providing exceptional HVAC services to the greater Indianapolis area for over 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock