Plunging temperatures mean that your air conditioner will finally get a well-deserved break. But even as it lays dormant, you want to make sure it’s always in peak condition. The following preparatory tips can help you get your A/C system ready for the cool fall and winter months:
- Replace your air filter – Leaving a dirty air filter in your A/C unit can rob it of performance later on. Swap out your old air filter with a new, clean filter as you prepare your A/C unit for its fall break.
- Get rid of the debris – Leaves, small branches, dirt and other debris can accumulate and block normal airflow, preventing the unit from cooling effectively. Make sure you remove all debris and overgrown foliage from around the bottom of the outdoor cabinet.
- Clean the evaporator and condenser coils – Dirty evaporator and condenser coils can also prevent the A/C unit from cooling effectively. Cleaning the coils can help preserve your A/C system’s performance and efficiency.
- Schedule an A/C system checkup – It pays to have a professional take a close look at your A/C system. A skilled HVAC technician can spot and fix problems before they have a serious impact on your cooling system’s performance.
- Give your air conditioner some cover – Keep debris out of your A/C system during the fall and winter months with a breathable, yet waterproof, cover.
If you want to learn more ways to get your air conditioner ready for fall, turn to the professionals at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Contact us for your heating and cooling needs throughout Indianapolis.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “James J. Flanigan/Shutterstock”