With the frigid Indiana winter fast approaching, now might be a good time to replace your old furnace. Here are a few tips to help you determine which reputable HVAC provider to choose for installing a new furnace:
- Ensure that the provider follows Energy Star standards. According to the federal Energy Star program, improper installation can reduce heating performance by as much as 30 percent. The Energy Star ensures that energy efficiency will be incorporated into your installation.
- Ask the provider about equipment. Is the HVAC provider offering the right size and type of furnace for your home’s heating load and for zoning purposes? What types of furnaces are available? Is a rebate available? An improperly sized furnace will either struggle to heat your home if too small, or provide uneven and inefficient heating if too large.
- Have the provider check your ductwork. A new furnace won’t provide maximum savings if your ductwork is’t compatible with the new equipment, or if the ducts have leaks or poor design.
- Ask if your technician will provide you instructions on maintenance. The life of a furnace can be extended with proper care. Make sure that the provider you select gives you advice about maintaining your new system, so that you won’t have to repair or replace it sooner than necessary.
- Select a provider with good customer reviews. With so many providers available in the Indianapolis area, a good way to determine which to use is customer feedback. Great experiences from previous customers certainly gives you confidence in choosing an HVAC provider, while poor reviews show you which to avoid.
As you research HVAC providers, make a list of several to contact. Ask these questions of potential bidders, so that you’ll be informed and feel comfortable about your decision. Installing a new furnace should be done carefully. After all, if you pick the wrong provider, you could be left out in the cold.
For satisfactory answers to your questions about installing a new furnace, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We’ve been providing outstanding customer service to the Indianapolis area since 1970.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock