Homeowners in the Indianapolis area interested in reducing their exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) may want to learn a number of simple tips to improve indoor air quality (IAQ) by reducing VOCs.
Modern products including but not limited to paints, household cleaners, personal care products, building materials, carpets, furnishings, etc. all release different levels of organic compounds that have a detrimental effect on human health. Even though the VOC level is highest during use of chemical products and when new items such as carpets are first brought home, pollution levels tend to remain high for long periods of time after the initial purchase and/or use of each product.
Since IAQ is often much worse than outdoor air, being proactive could prevent you and your family members from suffering symptoms of VOC exposure, including nausea, headaches, and eye, nose and throat irritation, as well as avoiding possible long-term effects of exposure to VOCs, including liver and kidney damage and even cancer.
A number of simple tips can help you reduce the number of VOCs present in your home, including:
- Purchasing chemical products such as paints and cleaners in smaller containers, as products that have been opened and resealed tend to continue to release pollutants into the air.
- Carefully reading and following all manufacturer instructions when using any product containing these substances. It’s especially important to provide plenty of ventilation while using these products.
- Considering replacement of carpeting in all or part of your home with solid wood flooring or another natural, smooth material.
- Keeping certain houseplants in key areas such as near newer furnishings, as specific types of plants have the ability to neutralize VOCs.
- Consider investing in an air cleaner designed to reduce the level of volatile organic compounds in your home.
If you would like to learn more about home comfort issues in the Indianapolis area, the professional staff at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing would love to help you; we’ve been serving the area for over 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Palo_ok/Shutterstock”