Winter has made way for nicer days, and Indianapolis residents will soon be out in force preparing for summer. One of the most important tasks for your home maintenance checklist is your spring A/C tuneup. A spring air conditioner maintenance visit will:
- Increase system efficiency.
- Lower cooling bills.
- Prevent common A/C problems.
- Extend your system’s operating life.
- Increase your comfort.
A spring A/C tuneup should be performed by a skilled technician from a reputable contractor, and should include these essential tasks:
- Lubricate the motor, fan and other moving parts to prevent friction.
- Inspect wires and terminals for corrosion and tighten electrical connections.
- Inspect essential components for damage and dust buildup.
- Measure the level of refrigerant, check for leaks, and top off the system if necessary.
- Inspect ducts for leaks and obstructions.
- Measure airflow to the system.
- Inspect the coils for dirt and grime buildup.
- Test controls to ensure your air conditioner cycles properly.
- Test the thermostat and calibrate it if necessary.
- Flush the condensate drain to prevent clogs during periods of high humidity.
While a spring A/C tuneup will go a long way toward keeping you more comfortable at a lower cost and with fewer problems, there are a few essential tasks you should perform throughout the summer months to ensure your system remains efficient for the duration of the cooling season:
- Inspect the A/C air filter monthly. When it’s clogged with dust, replace it with a new one. The air filter prevents dust from entering the air conditioner, which can result in a number of serious problems. It also helps maintain good indoor air quality.
- Hose down the A/C’s outdoor unit every month to remove plant matter and other debris from the fins. This debris can prevent the optimum exchange of heat and restrict airflow.
- Keep the area around the outside air conditioner unit clean to prevent dust from entering the system and to help keep the condensate pan and drain clear of debris that can cause clogs.
To schedule a spring A/C tuneup today, please contact us in the Indianapolis area at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock