While traditionally, gas fireplaces have been all the rage, new electric units that produce incredibly realistic flames are becoming increasingly popular. It’s always advisable to learn about the advantages and disadvantages of any heating or cooling options before determining whether they can meet your specific needs. Here’s a look at where the electric fireplace excels and is lacking.
- Upfront costs. Electric fireplaces cost less upfront than wood-burning and natural-gas fireplaces. They don’t require venting, chimneys, or any other major masonry work.
- Low maintenance. Electric fireplaces are virtually maintenance-free. When it comes to cleaning, you’ll only need to wipe the front glass down occasionally. Replacement of the light bulb may be required every two or three years. Other than that, you won’t have to carry out any other maintenance tasks.
- Convenience. With an electric fireplace, you can have a fire with the simple flip of a switch. The thermostat control produces consistent temperature, which is displayed on the fireplace’s floating display. The fireplace comes with a remote control you can use to adjust temperatures from the comfort of your couch.
- Costly electric heat. Electric heat can be significantly more expensive than other types of heat, such as natural gas, especially if used as the primary heat source. An electric fireplace won’t be an excellent heat source for your whole home.
- Not a backup. An electric fireplace isn’t ideal for backup heat. You can’t use it during power outages. If backup heat during outages or storms is your priority, it makes more sense to invest in a wood or gas fireplace.
Now that you know the main advantages and disadvantages of an electric fireplace, you can make a more informed choice on the type of fireplace that meets your needs. If you still want more information on any heating options, contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. With more than 50 years in the residential-heating business, you can count on us to meet all of your home heating needs in the Indianapolis area.