More than ever, Indianapolis homeowners nowadays have a wide range of choices when it comes to fireplaces. Some are mainly for atmosphere and show, while others help supplement your regular heating system. Here’s a brief rundown of the fireplace choices available to you, including:
- Gas inserts. This requires retrofitting a wood-burning fireplace with a more convenient and energy-efficient gas insert. It helps heat the home. With this and the other gas options, you can choose between a unit that vents its exhaust outside and a ventless unit.
- Gas built-in unit. This is an entirely newly-built fireplace, designed for burning gas efficiently and comfortably. It also provides heat for your home.
- A log-set. This is the basic burner that’s laid down into existing, open fireplaces. It’s mainly for looks, and doesn’t provide much heat.
- Wood-burning fireplaces. These are the old standby, with atmospheric smell and appearance of a burning fire and warmth in the immediate vicinity of the fire. But they also come with the hassle of keeping a supply of wood and kindling, removing ashes, and ensuring the chimney is not blocked or cracked.
Some things to remember about gas fireplaces:
- They range in price from a few hundred dollars for a base-model log-set to several thousand for insert or built-in fireplaces.
- You can choose between propane-burning and natural gas-burning fireplaces. If you already have a natural gas line to your home, that’s the way to go. Natural gas is very cheap and should remain so for the foreseeable future.
- If you’re not experienced in installing combustion appliances, you’ll want to hire a certified technician for your fireplace installation. He can do the job right, and also help you size your system. Once you have a relationship with a technician — preferably certified by the National Fireplace Institute — you can schedule annual maintenance visits. The technician will clean the unit and adjust its burner.
If you’re planning on fireplace-shopping in the near future, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, providing quality services in the Indianapolis area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Samantha Roberts/Shutterstock”