Suffering from allergies is no picnic. They can cause a whole host of problems and health concerns, not to mention make you feel downright miserable. Sometimes getting to the root of the problem is the only solution. Did you know the most common source of allergies from house dust is dust mites? If you can reduce or eliminate dust mites, your should be able to keep your allergy symptoms at bay.
What Are Dust Mites?
Scientifically speaking, dust mites belong in the arachnid family (like spiders, ticks and chiggers). They thrive in warm, humid temperatures above 70 degrees and 75 to 80 percent humidity. When humidity levels drop to 40 or 50 percent, dust mites are eliminated.
Where are Dust Mites Found?
Please don’t be discouraged, but dust mites are everywhere. There can be up to 19,000 mites in one gram of dust. The protein in the waste from mites causes an allergic reaction in many people. Typically, dust mites are found in pillows, mattresses, carpeting and upholstery where they find plenty of skin dander to sustain themselves. When dust kicks up due to vacuuming, walking or playing on the carpet, or disturbing bedding, those allergic to dust mites feel the effects.
How Can You Reduce Dust Mites?
- Maintain low humidity levels: Use a dehumidifier as necessary to keep the humidity below 55 percent.
- If possible, remove carpeting from the bedroom or other high-traffic areas in your home. If you must vacuum, wear a dust mask.
- Keep pets out of the bedroom.
- Wash bed linens in hot water regularly and cover mattresses with mite-proof covers.
- Ensure your HVAC system is equipped with a high-efficiency media filter with a MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) of 11 or 12.
- Consult with a professional, certified allergist.
Take heart that you don’t have to suffer from allergies caused by dust much longer. With a little elbow grease and know-how, you can begin enjoying your home and family. For more helpful information on improving indoor air quality in your Indianapolis area home, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, satisfying customers for 28 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Olena-Zaskochenko/Shutterstock”