Boiler Options When Upgrading SystemsHas your boiler reached its retirement age? With winter just around the corner, now’s the time to consider your boiler options and a possible upgrade to your heating system. By following this simple three-step guide, you can evaluate your boiler options and make the decision to upgrade with confidence and ease.

1. Understand the efficiency rating

When evaluating your boiler options, you should be familiar with the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating that’s displayed on each model. AFUE measures the efficiency of a boiler’s ability to convert fuel into heat. For example, if a boiler has an AFUE of 90 percent, it means that 90 percent of the fuel’s energy will be converted into heat for your home, with the other 10 percent being lost to the chimney and elsewhere.

2. Select fuel type

You’ll find that all-electric boilers will have the highest AFUE ratings (typically from 95-100 percent). In spite of this, however, these units may not actually be the most efficient of your boiler options. In fact, the comparably high costs of electricity make all-electric boilers more expensive to operate than a lower AFUE natural gas-fueled boiler. Natural gas is the most commonly used fuel type for boilers. Although the federal minimum efficiency rating for gas-fired boilers is 75 percent, high-efficiency models are available with AFUE percentages 90 and above.

3.  Choose efficiency features

When evaluating your boiler options, always look for the Energy Star label, which indicates the boiler is energy efficient with excellent performance. In addition, it’s a good idea to choose a condensing boiler. Though initially more expensive, these boilers will save you money in the long run as they can condense the water vapor that they produce during combustion and use the heat from the condensation. Self-cleaning boilers are another good option, and you should talk to your HVAC contractor about which models are the most quiet.

For more expert advice on choosing between your boiler options, please contact the professionals at Mowery Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing. We’re proud to serve the greater Indianapolis area.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). 

Image courtesy of Shutterstock

Call Now ButtonCALL MOWERY NOW