It’s important to schedule annual service for your furnace, but do you know how to prepare beforehand? Here are some things to consider before the HVAC technician arrives at the door of your Indianapolis area home:
- Troubleshooting – You’ll still want to keep your annual service appointment, but if you’ve been having issues with your furnace, you might be able to fix some of them yourself by utilizing the troubleshooting section of your furnace’s manual.
- Furnace type – When you’re making the appointment, tell the HVAC contractor the brand of your furnace and its model number.
- Equipment location – The technician’s job will go much more smoothly if you can direct him to where everything is located, including your furnace (obviously), thermostat and circuit box.
- Problems with the unit – If you notice problems with your furnace and can’t troubleshoot them yourself, relay this information to the HVAC professional. Sounds, smells – make a note of anything that might be relevant, in as much detail as possible.
- Accessibility – Don’t make it a chore for the technician to get to your furnace. If it’s located in the basement or a closet, remove any obstructions such as furniture or boxes you’ve stacked nearby.
- Payment options – Whether you plan to pay for service using cash, check or a credit card, have the payment ready, because your bill probably will be due at the end of the service call. Some contractors are willing to bill regular customers but you can’t rely on this. Also, if you’re renting and won’t be paying yourself, make sure you’ve informed the landlord about the service call beforehand so that he or she can provide payment instead.
- Common courtesies – It should go without saying that someone over the age of 18 must be at home for the service. And have your phone by your side in case any changes to the appointment need to be made.
If you would like further assistance with getting ready for annual service, or for any questions regarding home comfort, please contact the experts at Mowery Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of the Indianapolis area for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).