Summer is well under way in the Indianapolis area, and you’ve likely been running your home’s cooling system for weeks now. Running the A/C more efficiently this cooling season will help you save on energy bills and reduce wear on your system. These tips will help you stay comfortable this summer at a lower cost.
Maintain Your Air Conditioner
Maintaining your system is essential for efficiency and preventing common A/C problems that can lead to high repair bills and leave you sweltering in the heat.
- Schedule your annual tune-up if you haven’t already. Your annual professional maintenance will help ensure that your air conditioner operates efficiently and problem-free all summer long.
- Replace the A/C’s air filter when it’s dirty. Check it every month, and opt for a good-quality, pleated replacement. A dirty filter reduces efficiency and indoor air quality, and it’s one of the most common causes of system breakdowns.
- Clean the debris from the fins of the outdoor unit by hosing it down each month to ensure optimum heat exchange and air flow.
Seal Air Leaks
Running the A/C more efficiently depends on the cool air staying inside. Seal air leaks to increase system efficiency and improve your comfort.
- Seal around service entrances, doors and windows with caulk.
- Install weatherstripping between the components of doors and windows that move.
- Apply metal tape or mastic sealant to loose joints and cracks in your ductwork.
Help the A/C Along
Reducing the load of your air conditioner will help you save money on cooling costs and extend the operating life of your system.
- Raise the thermostat a few of degrees and use ceiling fans to help you feel cooler.
- Wait until the evening or early morning to use appliances that generate heat, such as the clothes dryer, dishwasher and oven.
- Close the window shades, especially on the south side of your home, during the day to combat heat gain.
- During the night and morning when it gets cooler outside, turn off the A/C and open your windows (if the humidity allows). Use natural cooling to delay the point in the day when the A/C needs to kick on. Close up the house as soon as the outside temperatures start to rise.
For additional expert advice about running the A/C more efficiently this summer in the Greater Indianapolis area, please contact us at Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net