Do you want to know one of the secrets to keeping cooling costs low this summer? It’s as simple as scheduling A/C maintenance. If you haven’t done it yet this spring, there’s no time like the present to avoid breakdowns when you need cooling the most. Find out what the services includes, and what you can do to get involved.
The purpose of cooling maintenance is twofold:
- The technician will clean the system thoroughly, getting into all the nooks and crannies of the system, removing dirt, dust and allergens.
- The technician will also inspect the air conditioner’s individual components, assessing its condition and replacing components as necessary to improve performance.
This dual focus leads to proven benefits. When the technician cleans the coils, compressor, fan blades, motors and other components, the unit runs much more efficiently. That means you’ll reduce energy costs over the cooling season. Schedule A/C maintenance faithfully every year, and you’ll increase the system’s potential for savings. Generally speaking, homeowners who regularly invest in maintenance recoup the cost of the service through energy savings, reliability and fewer system repairs.
Another benefit of A/C maintenance involves identifying problems before they cause serious damage in the system and lead to costly repairs.
How you can participate
Your commitment to A/C maintenance doesn’t stop once you schedule the service. Throughout the summer, you should be performing these easy DIY tasks:
- Keep an eye on the condition of the A/C filter. A dirty filter impedes system efficiency, hindering the airflow the air conditioner needs to operate. As a general rule, check the filter monthly, changing it whenever the filter looks full.
- Clean the outdoor unit. This process is twofold: First, sweep away leaves, grass clippings and other yard debris from the outside condensing unit to allow optimal performance of the coil and allow free airflow. Second, occasionally spray clean the condenser with a garden hose.
- Avoid obstructing indoor grilles and registers with items such as drapes, rugs and furniture, which also hinders airflow.
Don’t risk your investment in your air conditioner. Get ahead of the game, and make your A/C maintenance appointment today. Call Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve served homeowners in greater Indianapolis with heating and cooling solutions since 1970.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock