It’s always a good idea to give your A/C system a test run in early spring before it’s needed for heavy-duty cooling. Professional preventive maintenance is an even better idea, and it’s essential to maximize performance and catch problems early.
Many A/C problems cause intermittent cooling or weak airflow, and often stem from incorrect settings, obstructions or system wear. If your A/C is acting up, try these troubleshooting tips for common A/C problems before calling your A/C maintenance technician.
- Thermostat: Does your home heat up to uncomfortable temperatures before the A/C turns on? This is often caused by your manual thermostat’s heat anticipator. You can adjust it to activate the A/C closer to the set point. Detach the thermostat housing and look for a metal switch with a triangular-shaped tip. Move it a notch or two as needed.
- Filter: A clogged filter can create excessive noise and poor airflow. Moreover, a dirty filter can damage the blower by restricting airflow, and you pay higher cooling bills. Make sure you check the filter monthly and change as needed.
- Coils: Check the outside unit for weeds and debris that could block airflow. Debris is probably inside the cabinet as well. Use a garden hose to wash out the cabinet. Check the indoor evaporator coil and fins for debris and mold. You may use a microbial coil cleaner and soft cloth for cleaning and disinfecting.
- Drainage: Is your A/C leaking water? A clogged drain tube or malfunctioning condensate pump may be to blame. If the drain tube is clogged with algae and/or mold, a cup of bleach should clear it. If the condensate pump has failed, your HVAC tech should be called.
- HVAC sizing: A/C size affects cooling and your energy bills. If the system is too large or small, it quick-cycles or runs continuously, leading to higher energy bills and early failure. Your A/C tech can adjust the blower, or help you select an A/C replacement if it’s due.
To learn more troubleshooting tips for common A/C problems in your Indianapolis home, please contact Mowery Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Brownsburg, Indiana and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Nenov Brothers Images/Shutterstock”